The European Commission has formulated ten thematic objectives for the operational programmes to work towards. Sweden will invest at least 80 percent of the funding in the first four thematic objectives, with at least 20 percent going to objective 4.
The first four thematic objectives:
- Strengthening research, technological development and innovation.
- Enhancing access to, and use and quality of ICT.
- Enhancing the competitiveness of SMEs.
- Supporting the shift towards a low-carbon economy in all sectors.
The programmes can be supplemented by a further three thematic objectives from the remaining six. The government has stated that objective 7 must be prioritised.
The remaining six thematic objectives:
- Promoting climate change adaptation, risk prevention and management.
- Preserving and protecting the environment and promoting resource efficiency.
- Promoting sustainable transport and removing bottlenecks in key network infrastructures.
- Promoting employment and supporting labour mobility.
- Promoting social inclusion and combating poverty.
- Investing in education, training and vocational training for skills and lifelong learning.
For each of the objectives there are also investment priorities, which describe the possible focus for a particular objective. These are explained further in the focus description for each programme.