The first four thematic objectives:
- Strengthening research, technological development and innovation.
- Enhancing access to, and use and quality of ICT.
- Enhancing the competitiveness of SMEs.
- Supporting the shift towards a low-carbon economy in all sectors.
The programmes can be supplemented by a further three thematic objectives from the remaining six. The government has stated that objective 7 must be prioritised.
The remaining six thematic objectives:
- Promoting climate change adaptation, risk prevention and management.
- Preserving and protecting the environment and promoting resource efficiency.
- Promoting sustainable transport and removing bottlenecks in key network infrastructures.
- Promoting employment and supporting labour mobility.
- Promoting social inclusion and combating poverty.
- Investing in education, training and vocational training for skills and lifelong learning.
For each of the objectives there are also investment priorities, which describe the possible focus for a particular objective. These are explained further in the focus description for each programme.